Miami Officials Call for End to Ultra Music Festival

Empty Lighthouse is a reader-supported site. This article may contain affiliate links to Amazon and other sites. We earn a commission on purchases made through these links.

Last night marked the end to another weekend of Ultra Music Festival in Miami, one of the biggest electronic music events in the country.

Though the festival has been taking place in South Beach for 16 years now, Miami officials have been stirring the pot and want to call an end to Ultra Music Festival in their city.

The call for the end of Ultra in downtown Miami rose after a security guard, Erica Mack, was trampled Friday night while trying to stop a group of fans who didn't have tickets who stormed a fence to get inside the event.

Mack, 28, is in critical condition but stable, and experiencing severe brain hemorrhaging at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

"She was not strong enough to deal with a mob of people that actually pushed this fence down, pushing her backwards and the fence landing on top of her.

Now these people started trampling on top of her just to get into the event, as a result she sustained major head trauma as well as a broken leg," said Miami Fire Rescue Lt. Ignatius Carroll.

"What happened this weekend is an event that could have been avoided," said Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado on Sunday. "The organizers of Ultra did not follow the police directive to re-enforce the fence, even though they knew that this year, and the year before, some kids have tried to over run the fences.

This is something that could have been avoided," he continued.

"So in the next weeks we are going to have a discussion on the city commission level to deny the permits for next year for the event here in the city of Miami."

In response to the stir up and trampling event, Ultra released the following statement:

"The event organizers of Ultra Music Festival share the sentiments of our security partner, CSC, with regard to the condition of Erica Mack, the security guard currently receiving treatment at Jackson Memorial Hospital. The Ultra Family hopes for a swift and full recovery. The event organizers prohibit any form of unlawful entry in to the event grounds.

Preliminary investigations show that the incident was caused by individuals not in possession of event tickets and who were determined to gain unauthorized entry.Every year the event organizers work collaboratively with police and other municipal partners along with the organizers' independent security partners to ensure the safety of all patrons, crew and working personnel.

Because a thorough investigation is underway, event organizers regret that additional comment cannot be provided at this time. The event coordinators are cooperating fully with investigative authorities."

Aside from the stampede, there was tons of other havoc occurring downtown during the weekend of Ultra Music Festival.

Miami police stated that they made 33 arrests on Saturday, which is 22 more than the amount of arrests they made on Friday.

Injuries were recorded from patrons dancing, and attendees were also found unconscious from illegal substances that caused them to overdose at the festival.

"We want you to have fun but you know let's keep in mind we have to do our job. We want to do our job safely everyone to go home safely and we want to go home safely," said Burden.

Though talks of not bringing Ultra Music Festival back to Miami have been milling around, Ultra has announced the dates for next year's festival, still set to take place in Miami, as of now.

Stay tuned for more information on this debate.